Thursday, 31 March 2011
Wednesday, 30 March 2011
1) Organise physical yarn stash (in buckets, by gauge).
|2) Enter yarn on Ravelry so I can appreciate quite how unnecessary buying new yarn would be.|
This is a passionless process so I've mostly just accepted that it won't happen.
|3) Control the works in progress, take stock and rip/finish as required.|
This moves in spurts, right now it feels like it's going well. I've ripped and reknit the back of a tank I started last year. Can you see my halo?
Tuesday, 29 March 2011
Still, I did eventually spot a definitely new knitting skill - garment assembly! Over the Christmas break this year I knit Gwen which was my first pieced garment. I knit all the pieces super quickly (bulky yarn works wonders in that department) and then spent as long putting it all together: shoulder seaming, setting in sleeves and mattress stitch - all new techniques.
Monday, 28 March 2011
- On the right, some undyed Bluefaced Leicester spun one Sunday and Navajo/chain plied the following Sunday. There's about 27g of this in total and about 92 yards. It's not totally consistent, and the chain plying emphasises the unevenness of the singles, but both mini-skeins come out at approximately 20 wpi (laceweight)
- On the left, some Shetland spun in the week following the BFL plying Sunday and plied with a strand of red laceweight strung with a selection of colourful wooden beads. This yarn is not beautiful (or at least not particularly well colour-coordinated) but it does demonstrate the technique. There's around 19g/33 yards at approximately 9 wpi (worsted) and the rest of the singles (spun from a 20g Fibreholics sample supplied by KnitCave) are still sat on my bobbins waiting to be something.
- Generally becoming more familiar with your wheel (I finally started to get to grips with how to fiddle with things to get the yarn I'd like)
- chain plying
- art yarns (core spinning, carding exciting-looking batts, and beaded yarns)
Thursday, 3 March 2011
Glad it's finished, not a pattern I love. I do, however rather like the orange yarn. It's Patons Linen Touch which I've used for a couple of projects now (Helix, Infolab Baby Sweater and a hat).
Pattern: Garden Snail by Hansi Singh.
Yarn: A selection of blue mystery yarns from ebay and Patons Linen Touch in Mandarin from Lancaster Indoor Market.
Mods: Dropped the needle size a bit to reflect the DK weight yarn being used (pattern calls for worsted weight). Used even smaller needles for the body as previous knitters had noted a size discrepancy between the shell and body. Ignored the whiskers because I think they're odd looking. Some pattern interpretation required.
Project: Online at Ravelry.