Tuesday 29 March 2011

Day 2: Skill +1UP

Inspired by...


Day 2: Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?
Like mooncalf, I struggled with this theme somewhat - nothing jumped instantly to mind. I know I've tried some more advanced sock patterns and, like a girl in winter, I've tried my first (and second, and third) toe-up socks since this time last year. I've also knit my first lace shawls (one, two, three) and had a second crack at stranded knitting.

I think what makes each of those achievements feel not very much like skill acquisition is perhaps something to do with the nature of knitting itself. Many folks like to say that to knit any pattern one simply needs two stitches, knit and purl, and everything else is a variation upon these two. As encouraging as those sentiments may be I'm not sure they're strictly true, but it *does* seem to be the case that as one gets to grip with one knitting technique the next is not quite so unachievable.

Still, I did eventually spot a definitely new knitting skill - garment assembly! Over the Christmas break this year I knit Gwen which was my first pieced garment. I knit all the pieces super quickly (bulky yarn works wonders in that department) and then spent as long putting it all together: shoulder seaming, setting in sleeves and mattress stitch  - all new techniques.


Now I just need to apply those skills to my hibernating Hey Teach!

(Last year, Day 2 asked which patterns I aspired to, I listed six pattern types I fancied trying: a blanket, a felted bag, some crochet, a garment, toe-up socks and some more advanced lace. I've done all of the final three and none of the first three... something for this year I guess!)

With thanks to Eskimimi for hosting :)
View other posts for day 2 here.
Todays tag: 2KCBWDAY2

6 comments:

  1. Garment assembly - I forgot about this, a good skill to have and one I am working on.

    Gwen looks great and such a pretty colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Gwen looks great, and garment assembly counts! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. garment assembly definitely counts. and your cardie looks great. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garment assembly totally counts. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cardigan looks great! Keep on learning :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Garment assembly, i.e. finishing, is one of the worthiest skills! Bravo for learning this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...