Saturday 31 May 2008

Books I Read In May (and probably April)

I suspect I actually read some of the books on bottom of this list in April (hence the title).

Mort's also on the 100 book list, taking me to 44 :)

---

Total: 7 books.

Chasing Harry Winston (Lauren Weisberger)
An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge) (John O'Farrell)
Mort (Terry Pratchett)
An Egg on Three Sticks(Jackie Moyer Fischer)
The Girl With The Pearl Earring (Tracy Chevalier)
Son of a Witch (Gregory Maguire)
Two Caravans (Marina Lewycka)

Chasing Harry Winston (31/05) was mostly disappointing. I liked The Devil Wears Prada a lot and Everyone Worth Knowing wasn't bad but this was pretty bland. Dull.

I think I've been reading An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge) (29/05) for almost the entirety of May. It's quite amusing and contains all sort of fascinating bits of trivia. I'm not sure I could face reading it again in a hurry though, there's so much in it. Have made it available on BookMooch.

My Discworld of the month, Mort (29/05) is unsurprisingly clever and amusing. I did get a bit confused at the end though.

Borrowed from the library on a trip to find 'something' so I could renew my others to the same date, An Egg on Three Sticks was an excellent find. A compelling novel. Not much more to say really :) It's good.

Having mooched it ages ago (from mil:UK) I've finally read The Girl With The Pearl Earring this month. Took it away on the canal holiday when I went with Hobnob and his parents. I really enjoyed this book. It's historical fiction which is usually a pretty good marker in my eyes but this is unusually short :) It's a beautifully told story - maybe that'll prompt me to read the others I mooched by the same author sometime soon :).

Having been horribly excited to find it in Waterstones last month I've now finished Son of a Witch. Another great book by the author of Wicked. I wish I had his imagination and general cleverness. I shall keep it and see if Dad wants to read it.

I never really got the excitement that came with A Short History of Tractors in Ukraninian, for me it was an average read and vastly overhyped. Two Caravans, on the other hand is much deserving of the hype associated with Marina Lewycka's previous novel. This book has all the warmth and enjoyment I felt was missing from the previous novel. I'm hanging on to this one for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...