Tuesday 27 September 2011

FO: Flat Feet


These were cast on as an experiment - I wanted to know how the Kollage square circular needles felt: were they easier on my hands/wrists/other? What I discovered is that, for me, these circulars are unusable - the cables are too soft and would rather kink through my stitches than let the stitches travel onto the needle. You win some, you lose some.


To finish the socks I ordered some (square) double-pointed needles (DPNs) and continued from the tiny amount of the toe I'd started. It's been a while since I knit with DPNs, and even longer since I knit socks with them (I've become a fan of the two circular method for small diameter anythings).

It was surprisingly refreshing to go back to this method. I do still find this a tricky way to try socks on - typically I'd worry that the needle would snap, in this case the needles were metal so I just had to worry about stitches jumping off the needle (or the yarn snapping). Aside from that though I do find DPNs a nice way to work.

And I really like the square DPNs - really lightweight, simultaneously grippy enough to hold onto stitches when you don't want to lose them and yet slippy enough that the needles don't hold you back.

Just don't make me try the circs again.



Pattern: Mock Cable Socks by Wendy Johnson
Yarn: Conjoined Creations Flat Feet
Mods: Gradual increases as the leg progressed.
Project: online on Ravelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...